Friday, October 23, 2009

Mighty Hunter

I put in for my very first deer hunt this year and drew a tag. On Wednesday, Cole took me out to his "Special Hunting Hole" and within 20 minutes, I had shot my very first deer! Cole is an amazing guide!
So what happened was, just after it got light, we walked down about 400 yards from the truck. We perched ourselves on a little lookout, and were watching some elk in the distance. Something spooked the elk and they took off running down the hill. At first we had thought there were only 30-40 elk, but as they ran, more kept coming! There were at least a hundred! Cows and Bulls. It was pretty cool to watch, and it sounded like a roaring river as they ran. After that we thought, well any deer around probably got spooked with them, but we'll just sit and watch for a bit. Maybe 10 minutes after they ran, Cole whisper-yells to me, "Shoot that Buck!". I pull off my gloves and grab the rifle, trying to see where he is pointing, as I was unaware that we were watching any deer. haha. Anyways I find the deer in the scope about 240 yds down the hill from us and I keep asking Cole, the front one, right? (There were three bucks together). He said yes, and confirmed I had a clear shot. I responded that I did, and I squeezed that trigger and BOOM!!! That rifle packs quite a punch and I was knocked back a little, therefore not watching the deer to see if I hit it. Cole was watching them though and I hit it! It ran maybe 10 feet and went down. I've never seen Cole more excited...SERIOUSLY! haha. Anyway then we had to go clean it (gut it) and yes, I did most of it. And then we had to drag it up an steep incline the whole way to the truck! Luckily for us, Cole's uncle Lance was up there hunting and we were able to track him down and have him help. It was quite an experience. :) Now Cole is trying to talk me into putting in for an Elk tag next year....we'll see....


My handsome Hubby (this was actually taken on Day #1 of the hunt in a total different area, we just rode the wheelers all day)
Here I am!

Me and my Proud Husband

Cole's uncle Lance and I


I don't think I'll make it very far...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! How awesome are you? That is so cool!!

Sassy Salsa girl said...

Way ta go! :D

Mattie Rae said...

Wow! I'm so amazed! You go girl!

Heidi said...

That is amazing you shot a deer your first time! I am impressed!

Amber said...

That is so great!! I am going next year I can't wait!! I hope that I draw.